Unit 1 Session 1
Hand out Activity Guides
Usually the activity guides are pre-paid with the course fees. There is usually some attrition during the first days of class so it is advisable to hand out only the Activity Guides for the first two or three units and the Philosophy and Principles handout on the first day of classes.
Sample Handout Schedule
(Dates refer to Spring 2007)
- First day: (Jan 7) Philosophy and Principles, Units 1, 2, 3 Activity Guides, Homework for Units 1 through 7
- End of Second week (Unit 3 session 2, Jan 18)) Units 4 through 7 Activity Guides, 3-ring binder and tabs
- Middle of 5th week (Unit 7, Session 3, Feb 13) Units 8 through 14 Activity Guides, Homework for Units 8 through 14, 3-ring binder and tabs.
- Activity Guides should be stapled, by unit, and three-ring punched.
Equipment needed for each group
Tote basket with stuff for baseball throwing measurements
- 3 baseballs
- 30-m tape measure
In addition there needs to be a number line on the floor marking every metre for the total distance of 12 m. The number line usually remains from the previous semester, but can be reconstructed by the students if necessary.
We start using Excel today. The students enter their data in an online form (vcollect.html) which collects all the class data in a file (vfile.txt) that everyone can access.
Webforms for collecting class data
The instructor's computer in SC3980 is configured to act as a webserver for collecting and displaying the students' data. The url of the computer is http://sc3980-inst.surrey.sfu.ca.
Individual webpages for collecting data are
- vcollect.html Unit 1, Activity 1-1: Baseball pitching speed
- tcollect.html Unit 1. Activity 1-5: Bowling ball timing
- dropcollect.html Unit 2, Activity 2-4 : 2-m ball drop timing
- sdcollect.html Unit 2, Activity 2-5: Standard Deviations
These pages are located in /Library/Webserver/Documents directory. They make use of cgi programs written in perl which are in /Library/Webserver/CGI-Executables.
They write the data to the following files
- vfile.txt Unit 1,Activity 1-1: Baseball pitching speed
- tfile.txt Unit 1. Activity 1-5: Bowling ball timing
- dropfile.txt Unit 2, Activity 2-4: 2-m ball drop timing
- sdfile.txt Unit 2, Activity 2-5: Standard deviations
These files allow r/w permission for any user and should be cleared of previous data before class use by editing then with your favourite text editor, e.g, Textwrangler. Please note that if you delete a file or rename one and then create a new one then the permissions need to be set to rw for user, group and others (666). To create files and change their permissions you need to have superuser status. (Use the sudo command in the terminal app.)