Common Look & Feel (CLF) - WEB
The standards have gone relatively unchanged since their inception in 2006. The SFU web design community is collaborating on, and gathering information that may inform decisions about the future direction of the guidelines.
Please feel free to add your issues, complaints, suggestions below, or make comments and ask questions on the discussion page. Sept 28 2011.
Current issues for the CMS Steering committee
The information below taken from (but not limited to) internal discussions and emails from sfu webmasters. It is being recorded on this wiki to encourage discussion and contributions from all in the SFU community.
The issues of concern may pertain to one or more of the following areas; Navigation, Graphics, Information, Technical. Feel free to add as needed.
The naviagtional elements of a website mostly are concerned with the menu system, its organization and placement. Also, it may include problems with the SFU search, and key navigation or "landing" pages. (ie A-Z)
- Search improvements - USABILITY - How to deal with SFU search vs. sub domain search and search the web options
- Left hand menu for sub pages - Colors and typographic states could be re-thought. Indentation reduces menu width. Animated menus may be a solution.
- SFU logo link - Where should the SFU logo in the top left corner link to? (SFU HOME? Sub Domain home?)
Look and Feel
Can further be broken down into; Graphics, Photography, Branding, Page layou, etc.
- Search improvements - BRANDING - Can the search results page LOOK like an SFU page? (ie include CLF)
- Labelling for department name in top banner. TYPOGRAPHY (related to navigation issues, a larger font size could improve a users sense of "where" they are
- Right column width needs to be larger (for why?)
- SFU LOGO - does it even look like a link?
The stuff you dont't see. The technologies used to build the banner and its navigation system. The CLF project will have the most impact on the CQ5 content management system and its templates. As such, it will serve as the future framework for building all new SFU websites.
- Search improvements - RESULTS - How is search implented can a new infrastructure make it as good as an actual google search?
- Fix 404 error on searches mad from search page
Include SFU search page in the CLF. Run new project to improve results andthe searching experience in general.