The current software suite installed for students of Physics 140 and Physics 141 consists of
- Mac OS X 10.4 (latest revision including Safari)
- Microsoft Office 2004 (with OpenXML convertor)
- LoggerPro from Vernier Software
- Firefox 3.5
It is recommended that every year a clean, updated installation of the software be done.
- take one station's computer on which to restore clean version of the current system.
- Mount the mini as an external drive on the instructor's computer in T mode.
- The disk image of the current system should be on the instructor's computer
- Use the command line tool asr to reinstall a clean system. eg
asr -source ~/Desktop/Macintosh\ HD.dmg -destination /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1 -erase
- restart the station's computer using the just installed system
- update the OS, MS Office, LoggerPro and Firefox. Make sure to set the preference of Excel to "Normal View" and "Show Formula Bar".
- Use hdutil to make a clean disk image that can be cloned onto the other mac minis using asr